22 September 2009

The A's Pinky

If you don't like looking at broken fingers, read no more.




On Monday Annette visited the doctor and they took off the cast and gave her a small splint. During that time I thought it would be memorable to take a picture, complete with the pin still sticking out of the end of her finger.




After they pulled out a few stitches she looked down and got a little light headed. She asked me to distract her, so she could forget about her finger. I said something like, "Have I told you lately how much I love you?" She replied, "you need to do a lot better than that."




So I quickly thought, what is really distracting? What takes your mind off the here and now? Of course, a conversation with one of my brothers! The old flibbing of the flab (as I think Michael used to phrase it).




So I pulled out my cell phone and thought--Lee's at work and usually screens my calls; Matt's either working feverishly on some movie set or taking a nap; Mike's uncharacteristically serious when he's at work; and then Todd, yes Todd is the answer. It's Monday so he'll be home. I called Todd and put him on speaker phone and it worked better than vicodin.




As hoped he was highly entertaining and soon had Annette laughing. He hammered on Notre Dame football, the US Treasury, the skimpy number of little marshmellow bits in his morning bowl of Lucky Charms, etc. It was classic Todd. Thank you Todd.




For those who want to know, the pin stays in Annette's finger for another week. And the odd angle of her finger is to make sure it heals properly. It won't stay that way after the pin comes out.




2 comments:

jennie said...

Thank you Stu (and Todd) that was priceless!! Sorry A but you know we Harris' will laugh at anyone's expense

house of harris said...

If we are taking a vote I think my favorite line will be, "you have to do a whole lot better than that." That is vintage 'Harris'. Now some of us may be a bit squeamish about that finger A,but Stuart is so much like his Dad and had to come up with something choice to keep your mind off of your present circumstance, and what better way to do that than Todd, so a big gold star for all three of you.
Love Mom