10 March 2008

Recipe for Custard Rice Pudding

Break 3 eggs into a 2 quart casserole bowl and beat slightly with a fork. Stir in 1/3 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 2 tablespoons of melted butter/margarine, 1/2 cup raisins (more if you like more) and 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind (I use1/2-1 teaspoon of lemon juice).
Combine 1 cup of cooked, cold rice with 3 1/2 cups milk and stir into egg mixture; dust the top with nutmeg. Set casserole bowl in a baking pan (I use a 11X14 pyrex cake pan; fill pan with hot water to within an inch of top. (Can't always get it that full as the cake pan is not as tall as the casserole bowl's I have here). Bake in a 350 oven and stir after baking for 30 minutes,I add more nutmeg to the top then, and bake another 40-45 minutes. You want to be able to insert a bread knife into the center of the custard and have it come out clean. this is really good served warm or cold with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Be sure to keep the leftover custard in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap so it won't dry out.
You will discover that you might like it with more rice or raisins than I have put down.
Let me know how you like it guys.
Next up will come eggplant and liver!!!

2 comments:

jennie said...

Mom I am excited to try this! Have you ever used Brown Rice?

Joel said...

Brown Rice in Rice pudding?