14 February 2008

Through the eyes of a brand new temple goer

Dearest Family:
We had a very emotional day in the temple last week. A young couple from Curasel (sp?), one of the ABC Islands, (near Venezuela) came to the temple. He is the branch president of their small branch and she is a recent convert. They have a 14 month old little boy. They have been married for a few years but have never been able to come to the temple. Their temple is the Venezuela temple, and he says they can even see the mountains of Venezuela from their island, but the dangers of going into that place right now, plus the expense are not worth it. So they came to our temple along with a single sister friend. The wife and the single sister each received their own endowment last week and then have been attending the temple each day. They left this morning, but I was able to take a picture of them before they left. A beautiful couple and they speak English (an added bonus for me.) In fact I had to go down and address the baptistry youth the other night (thank goodness the Spirit attended with me) and the young man was there and so helped me with a couple of sentences. I get carried away sometimes and speak more than I have words to cover me; but as I read that last sentence most of us Harris' have that same problem whatever the language.
Anyway, getting back to my original story. The next day after receiving her endowment, the young sister came in and reported that she could not find her recommend. I went down to her locker and searched. We went into every place where we thought she might have left it and no luck. I told her to go back to the apartment and look through the diaper bag as she might have put it in there. No luck. So her husband came the next morning and since he is the branch president; he asked grandpa if he would counter-sign a new recommend for her. Dad had to look it up in the president's handbook to make sure he could do that and he could.
But in the meantime I was mentioning the problem to our dear secretary and something the husband had said stuck in my mind. He mentioned that the last time she had seen her recommend was while sitting in records review with the secretary. We hurried to that office and sure enough there was her recommend sitting on the corner of the desk. I went to the president's office and presented it to the young husband and he started to cry. That little piece of paper that many of us take so for granted was at that moment the most valuable possession he had. He said his wife would be so happy and from the look on his face I can imagine what she would feel. They have come every day since.
I wonder if we realize how very blessed we are to have such a simple little thing as our recommend but what profound meaning it should have to all of us. As President Hunter said, even if we do not live close to a temple we should always have one and carry it with us. I hope that each of us will see the temple through the eyes of a brand new attendee and realize the eternal blessings that are waiting for us in that Holy House of the Lord.
We love and pray for each and every one of you daily. May the Father's choicest blessings be with you all. Love Mom, Di, Aunt Di, Grandma and Greatgrandma (though I don't think our greatgrandchildren can read as yet. )

1 comments:

jennie said...

Mom
Thank you so much for sharing some of your spiritual moments with us! What a blessing to all of us to have you and dad serving the Lord in such a faithful way. It is by far the best legacy you could leave for your posterity. Thank you for your love, your faith and your example!
Jen